Hellenic Electricity Market Operator
|Headquarters:||72, Kastoros Str., 18545 Piraeus, Greece|
|Date of foundation:||2000|
|President & CEO:||Michael Philippou|
|Traded commodities and traded volumes in 2015:||Traded volume: 52, 3 TWh
Net Load: 50,5 TWh
Early Average Price: 51.9 EUR/MWh
Registered Capacity: 18 GW
Annual Wholesale Market: 2.6 Billion EUR
Market Participants: 48
|Current number of employees (April 2016):||42|
|Monthly report(s):||LAGIE 2016 Monthly Reports|
Company General Information
The company was founded in 2000 in the context of the liberalisation of the electricity market in Greece under the name Hellenic Transmission System Operator S.A. (HTSO), with the aim to undertake the operation, maintenance and development of the electricity transmission system and subsequently the operation of the wholesale energy market.
HTSO, following a corporate spin-off, transferred its Transmission Branch to a new company, ADMIE (the Transmission System Operator), and maintained the Market Branch. As of 1th February 2012, HTSO was renamed to Operator of Electricity Market S.A. (LAGIE) and its business scope encompasses the following:
- Operation of the Spot Electricity Market (Day Ahead Scheduling-DAS)
- Clearing and Settlement of DAS transactions
- Spot Electricity Market monitor and analysis
- Contracting and administration of Renewable Energy Sources (RES)
- Guarantees of Origin & Energy Efficiency Evaluation
- National Auctioneer in the allowance auctions conducted through the common European platform
- Administration of the National scheme for the compensation of indirect EU ETS costs (Carbon Leakage)
- Reporting to ACER as Organised Market Place and RRM of the Market Participants’ transactions in the Spot Electricity Market.
On the 11th December 2015, following the decision of the Minister of Environment and Energy, LAGIE SA was designated as “Nominated Electricity Market Operator” (NEMO) to perform the single day-ahead and intra-day coupling in accordance with article 4 of Regulation (EC) No 2015/1222.