The Working Group Environmental Markets (WG EM) was created following a decision of the Europex Steering Committee in 2010.
The aims of WG EM are to:
- Analyse environmental markets and policies adopted at national and EU level;
- Facilitate cooperation between Europex members by creating a platform for sharing experiences and working on projects of common interest;
- Promote the role of market-based mechanisms through the formulation of position papers, which are shared with all relevant stakeholders;
- Develop and enhance Europex’ external relations regarding environmental markets with contributions to studies, events, conferences and common projects with other associations;
- Represent Europex externally on relevant matters according to the mandate given by the Europex Board.
In recent years, WG EM’s work has been focused primarily on the following points:
- RES support schemes: ensure that support mechanisms are to the fullest extent possible compatible with the market and do not distort price signals;
- Decentralisation and new technologies: analyse the impacts of decentralised generation and new technologies on current market arrangements;
- Demand side flexibility: promote the development of an efficient demand flexibility market centred on exchanges with demand participating either directly or through aggregators;
- Guarantees of Origin (GOs): support the development of common standards and reliable disclosure mechanisms (full disclosure for all production sources based on GOs), with a view to making them exchange tradable;
- Carbon trading: support for market-based methods of allocation and carbon compliance in general and promote the development of an efficient and stable EU ETS post-2020.
WG EM consists of 52 members from 24 exchanges. Michiel Mulder (ICE Endex) is the head of the WG.