Europex is a not-for-profit association of European energy exchanges with currently 27 members. It represents the interests of exchange-based wholesale electricity, gas and environmental markets, focuses on developments of the European regulatory framework for wholesale energy trading and provides a discussion platform at European level.
The activities of the association include:
- Promoting the role of energy exchanges as a way of increasing competition by creating price transparency and implementing the European single electricity and gas market.
- Supporting the liberalisation of the different European electricity and gas systems.
- Dealing with the issue of international trading, with special emphasis on providing a market solution to the congestion problems.
- Maintaining a dialogue with the European Union institutions and with other European electricity, gas and environmental markets related entities.
- Increasing co-operation between European energy exchanges and promoting free trade.
- Collecting information, preparing reports and providing advice in matters related to the aforementioned objectives.
- Assessing the need for recommendations regarding market information dissemination and market rules especially related to market power abuse.